Wednesday 10 February 2010

Enough is Enough! Why I am Your Independent Candidate for the Sitwell Ward


After witnessing some of the antics that our Council get up to and realising that after 30 years in opposition how ineffective the Conservatives on the Council are, I decided that, for my own peace of mind, that I needed to stop complaining and do something about it by standing for election in the forthcoming local elections.

I am a member of the group (not a party) of like minded Independent Candidates, all of whom, including myself, have signed the Martin Bell Pledge, which is a set of seven principles recommended by Lord Nolan for people in public life which are:  Selflessness, Integrity, Objectivity, Accountability, Openness, Honesty and Leadership. Before voting you may wish to ask the other candidates if they have signed up to the above principles and if not why not!

Unlike the other candidates I have lived and brought up my children in the Sitwell Ward and am aware of the many issues that concern you.

I am supported by a team, with a vast amount of talent and experience including my husband Peter who is probably one of the most experienced and effective politicians in Rotherham.

If elected I promise that, unlike your present Councillor, I will hold regular surgeries and publish my contact details. I will always be accessible to listen and act upon your concerns.

I would really appreciate it if you would take the time and trouble to cast your vote for me. I promise I will do my best and will not let you down.

Jean Thirlwall
Rotherham Independents